My picture

My picture

Welcome to my mind

Here's the deal. I can be "opinionated". If you like what you see, please come back from time to time. If you don't like what you see, you can come back too.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

What Buffalo sports fans can be thankful for this year


It certainly doesn’t seem like Buffalo sports fans have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.  We’ve had more than our share of turkeys this year.
A Bills season that started out so well has gone down the toilet faster than Ryan Fitzpatrick could sign his name on that contract extension…..and now with Fred Jackson out for the year, is there really any hope at all?
But in the spirit of the holiday, here’s my list of things we really can be thankful for.
First, Terry Pegula.
Second, Terry Pegula.
Third through 10th, Terry Pegula.
I know the Sabres haven’t been world beaters, and there are still questions about talent at center and overall team grit…..but does anyone doubt that this team will win the Cup?  Does anyone doubt that Pegula will spend whatever it takes and do whatever it takes?
I’m thankful that even though they’ve gone from exciting to embarrassing, they’re still the BUFFALO Bills.  Not Toronto or Los Angeles or God knows what other big-market city is salivating for an NFL team.  And yes, when Ralph goes to wherever it is he’ll end up when he leaves this world, there’s a better chance that the team will leave than stay….but call me an optimist.  They’re talking lease extension (and even though the politicians could screw it up, I don’t think they will) and we’ve heard enough rumblings about potential new ownership groups that I remain hopeful.
Speaking of the Bills, I’m thankful that we haven’t learned they’ve been pulling a “Weekend at Bernie’s” thing with Ralph.
I’m thankful we’ve had half a great season from Fred Jackson.  (And perhaps he’s thankful he no longer has to carry a team that underpays him and wasted a draft pick on CJ Spiller)
I’m thankful that Stevie Johnson hasn’t gotten any headlines for his Twitter posts and pictures this year.  On the other hand, I wish I could be thankful for the way he’s playing.
I’m thankful that David Nelson isn’t dating one of the Jills.
I’m thankful that we seem to finally have a real tight end.  I’m looking forward to being thankful for him being a major part of the offense.
I’m thankful that Ryan Fitzpatrick hasn’t hurt a fan in the stands with an errant throw.
I’m thankful that OJ is still in prison.  I’m also thankful he hasn’t killed anyone else.  (allegedly)
Back to the Sabres….I’m thankful for Nathan Gerbe.  Don’t you just love the way he plays?  I wish he had been on the ice when Lucic plowed into Miller.
I’m thankful more players don’t tell Bucky Gleason what goes on in the locker room.
 I’m thankful the slug is gone.  (not Tim Connolly, the logo)
I’m thankful the Sabres still have Thomas Vanek.  Yes, they overpaid because they screwed up his contract talks and let Edmonton dictate the terms….but I think I’m going to be thankful that he’s going to turn into the beast who took over the Frozen Four at HSBC Arena and made Sabres fans want him on the team in the first place.
I’m thankful for cup holders above urinals.  I liked the idea so much, I decided to put one in my bathroom at home.
I’m thankful for Mike Schoop.  I love the way he always agrees with his callers and treats them with such respect.
I’m thankful for UB football.  Really.  It’s the closest thing we have to college football.
But most of all, I’m thankful that I’m a Buffalo sports fan.  Even though our hearts have been ripped out and stomped on by our teams, opposing teams, league officials, and fate….we still have hope.  We still believe, even though we may not Bill-ieve.
Happy Thanksgiving!                     


No comments:

Post a Comment