My picture

My picture

Welcome to my mind

Here's the deal. I can be "opinionated". If you like what you see, please come back from time to time. If you don't like what you see, you can come back too.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

A sad ending at Happy Valley

Today when I heard that Joe Paterno had died, it made me sad.  Much sadder than I thought I would be.
Not because I knew him.  I never even met the man.  I didn’t go to Penn State.  I was never even a big Nittany Lion fan.
But I always admired Joe Paterno.  At least, until a few months ago.  And that’s why I’m so sad.
Even sadder than I was back in November, when I wrote that Penn State was right to fire Paterno for what he did (and more important, didn’t do) about the child sex allegations against his longtime assistant Jerry Sandusky.  I was sad then, when I wrote that Paterno’s legacy would be so tarnished by this terrible story.  I was sad then, when I wrote that when he died, the words “sex scandal” would join “winningest coach” in the first line of his obituary.
Who would have thought it would happen so soon.
But that’s exactly what happened today.  Which is why I’m so sad.
When the story first broke, I was angry at Paterno.  How many children could he have saved from physical assault and emotional scarring?  How many lives could he have changed?  Including his own.
Today, as the stories about Paterno flooded the airwaves and the internet, and tributes poured in from his former players and coaches, along with former competitors and just plain fans, I thought about the victims and their families, and what they must be thinking today.
What will Paterno’s legacy turn out to be?  He was truly a great coach.  He was admired.  He was respected.  He was beloved.   There is genuine heartfelt grief over his death.
Will his role in the scandal end up overshadowing all the good he did for all those years?  Or will it just be one very bad chapter in a very good life? 
And how will his death affect the criminal case?  Would Paterno have faced criminal charges if he had lived?  What role would he have played in Sandusky’s trial?  Assuming there is one.
What about the civil case?  We know Penn State will end up paying millions and millions of dollars.  Would Paterno have been sued as well?
This story is tragic.  It would be awful if Paterno’s death somehow hurt the victims one last time.  And on the day when so many people are mourning the loss of a great coach and a good man, I feel very sad that his death isn’t the only reason I feel so sad.


No comments:

Post a Comment